Are you looking for a challenging and interesting opportunity? Does being a key member of the Project Controls team supporting the Armed Forces & Submarine Delivery Agency excite you?
If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you!
DE&S and the SDA are integral parts of UK Defence supporting our Armed Forces across Strategic, Land, Sea, Air and Nuclear Submarines; responsibilities include procurement, in service support and disposal. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance and delivers some of the most technically complex programmes in Defence.
As a Project Controls Management expert and holding a Senior Management position within Project Controls, this high-level opportunity could see you working on a diverse and exciting variety of tasks, including – major once-in-a-lifetime projects, where you will have a key role in delivering within time, cost and performance parameters. In addition, you will also be expected to help drive improvement in Project Controls and will have the opportunity to work with and influence a diverse internal and external stakeholder community.
Due to security requirements, posts may be reserved for sole UK Nationals only.
Responsibilities for DE&S / SDA Project Controls Manager
This position will work closely with other Projects disciplines and be the “right hand” to the Project/Programme Managers responsible for developing and delivering high quality and professional Project Controls services across a variety of high value and complex projects and portfolios.
As a Project Controls Manager, you will be responsible for setting and maintaining performance measurement baselines, directing and integrating all aspects of Earned Value Management (EVM), cost management, estimating, scheduling and risk management as well as providing analysis of progress and driving agreed recovery actions.
This is a senior position leading and managing the Projects Controls team and your responsibilities may include –
• To act as the focal point and to integrate all project controls activities on the Major Projects Portfolios
• Analyse performance of projects and portfolios to drive effective delivery
• Work closely with Project Managers, Portfolio Managers, Senior Stakeholders and Commercial teams to ensure that contractors and suppliers data is received in a timely manner, in an appropriate format and to the required quality
• Analyse performance of projects and portfolios and communicate it clearly and simply to ensure understanding and effective delivery
• Manage and co-ordinate portfolio resource planning in line with the project schedule
• Manage and drive the assurance and control of scope and change through robust assumptions management and change control mitigation to ensure that only documented authorised changes are made at the right level.
• Writing, maintaining and embedding policy, processes and procedures to ensure team compliance
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Significant experience managing Project Controls (encompassing Planning, Scheduling, Cost & Risk) using appropriate techniques and methodologies to analyse and inform project delivery.
• Proven team leadership, management and development skills
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Professional qualifications in a relevant discipline i.e. Degree Qualified/APM
• Proven track record in the ability to constructively challenge and influence a wide-range of stakeholder and industry
• Pro-active, forward thinking, and able to translate complex data to understandable information to drive value-added action
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Controlling a Project – Practitioner
• Controlling a Project – Practitioner
• Communicating and influencing
• Delivering at pace
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across DE&S, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
DE&S / SDA Project Controls Manager
£60,350 – £71,000 per annum (plus benefits)
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part time
Number of posts
For further information or to express interest, please get in touch with the Transition team via this email address or on 01392 346429
For further information or to express interest, please get in touch with the Employment & Education team via this email address or on 01392 346429.
RMA - The Royal Marines Charity promotes employment opportunities on behalf of multiple companies and share their adverts. Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and ability to perform the duties of the job.