The Scottish Veterans Fund recently awarded RMA – The Royal Marines Charity a grant of £23,900 over 2 years to help deliver transition support in Scotland.
The goal of the two-year programme is to respond to the challenges COVID-19 has placed on the Charity in Scotland and to continue our transitioning support for Royal Marines leaving service in Scotland.
The Transition Support Officer (TSO) role emphasises the importance that the Charity places on Royal Marines who face discharge from the Corps for medical, administrative or disciplinary reasons.
Our TSO in Scotland is highly skilled in understanding the needs of both early service leavers and veterans, which has become even more important in the last 12 months, due to the pandemic.
We also ensure that those leaving the Corps are engaged with our Membership Team, which is vital in maintaining a sense of identity and belonging to the Corps family at a time where they may be experiencing feelings of isolation and detachment.
This award enables the Charity to support our most vulnerable beneficiaries in Scotland, who often have complex needs that require long-term welfare support to overcome their challenges. These regularly include life-changing injury, life-limiting illness, mental illness, transition to civilian life and poverty.
Aspects of the role include:
- Visit the unit Recovery Troop in Arbroath and the Naval Personnel Support Groups in Faslane
- Supporting those RMs in transition from service in the Scotland Units or moving to Scotland to reside
- Help with transition, employment, assessments, VRP referral and in some cases alcohol support and referral
- Networking with Scottish Local Authorities and veteran charities in aid of supporting vulnerable SLs
- Build relationships with Poppy Scotland and Veterans 1st Point to best understand the beneficiary journey in Scotland
- Development of policy for H&WB team regarding Scotland only differences.
- Liaise with Scotland RMA Branches to seek out and signpost veterans who might be in need of support
- Home visits where needed
- Allocation and co work with RM Support Network