For further information or to express interest, please get in touch with the Employment & Education team via this email address or on 01392 346429
MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol or BAES Submarines, Barrow-in-Furness
This exciting role as the Dreadnought Alliance Project Security Officer can be located at either of our offices in Filton, Bristol or Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. You will be challenged with a varied and highly responsible role, ensuring all security risk is appropriately mitigated through the delivery of suitable security controls to ensure the uncompromised delivery of the Dreadnought SSBN programme. This responsibility also spans to supporting the Dreadnought Supply & Support Team (DSST).
As a Dreadnought Security Advisor, you will support the effective delivery of security controls across a large, complex submarine programme. You will provide comprehensive security advice to the team on project-related matters, capture and manage risk mitigations, and assure the compliance standards of our industry partners. You will also be responsible for delivering and maintaining a comprehensive security culture improvement plan. All of this will be supported by a robust work ethic and a solid understanding of MOD security policy.
Due to the nature of this role, this position is open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
• Alignment with relevant regulation, policy and standards to provide proportional, practical advice, tailored to the project environment, and advising relevant stakeholders on security risk.
• Ensuring security effect is delivered in alignment with organisational objectives and standards.
• Identifying, capturing and mitigating security risk for risk owners via detailed security risk management and risk-mitigation plans.
• Advising the organisation on how to deliver balanced and cost-effective security outcomes in situations with complex scope or significant risk.
• Manage a small, high-performing team under your leadership and guidance in delivering transactional work around assuring all staff within the Alliance & DSST are appropriately security cleared and indoctrinated for access to Defence Nuclear Information.
• Understand the business’ risk appetite, capturing security risk through the identification of security vulnerabilities delivering/managing appropriate mitigations.
• Develop and maintain comprehensive stakeholder network across Defence and our industry partners, predominantly BAE Submarines and RR Submarines. Establish a mutually supportive relationship with our submarine acquisition partners within the Astute and SSNR in order to provide consistency in mutually aligned functional areas.
• Understand submarine infrastructure requirements and steer complex security improvement projects in close collaboration with our industry partners. Advise on and assure operational security requirements to validate our suppliers’ proposals.
• Plan and deliver security culture improvement initiatives through security education and training.
• Draft, on behalf of the Alliance Head of Security, Security Aspects Letters (SALs) that deliver the appropriate security requirements in support of commercial contracts against our suppliers.
• Drawing on your extensive security experience, address routine requests for security approvals within the Alliance, DSST and supply chain.
• Deliver the appropriate security controls around the protection of highly sensitive information, both hard and soft copy. Work closely with the InfoSec team to ensure cyber risks are mitigated to an appropriate standard.
• Oversee security assurance activities, holding our suppliers to account in conforming to accepted security conditions issued in the SAL. This will include regular spot checks against KPIs, ensuring value for money is achieved against the appropriate security posture.
• Influence senior staff to imbue a robust security culture in themselves and within their teams. Achieve this by maintaining rapport, displaying empathy and, importantly, gaining their trust through demonstrable security professionalism.
• Draft reports, presentations and guidance documents as needed in support of the business.
• Understanding where your role fits into the wider strategic objectives of the Alliance. Be objectives-driven and team orientated.
• Demonstrate effective time management, be able to work under pressure.
• Have a positive, ambitious and forward-thinking manner using your own initiative and working with minimal supervision.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• A security background in Defence or other Industry or Government Department
• Level 5 Security Management Qualification or equivalent, or in-depth relevant experience.
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Professional qualifications / accreditations – MsyI or WINS
• Training or qualifications in one of the following: CPNI security standards, Security Risk Management, Audit and/or assurance, Project Management or Change management
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
RMA - The Royal Marines Charity promotes employment opportunities on behalf of multiple companies and share their adverts. Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and ability to perform the duties of the job.